dyno stuff

Mark S. Riley turbotuneusltd at triad.rr.com
Thu May 3 14:42:00 GMT 2001

    When I got the Dynojet, I wasn't as concerned with a "big number" as I
was with repeatability run after run. When I'm tuning a car, I want the
changes in numbers to be created by the vehicle and not from a reliability
issue with the dyno. The dyno is a "tool" and a means to an end. Hopefully a
better tuned car quicker and more safely than you could do in the street. As
for any dynomometer giving up "perfectly accurate" numbers, does it really
matter.
    Case in point: Back in the late 60's Formula Vee took off in SCCA and
there was a business in Charlotte, NC and another in Columbia, SC who both
had Studska VW engine dynos. Fellows in Charlotte made some impressive
numbers but customers were consistently outrun by engines from the guys in
Columbia. One of my friends, who will remain nameless, took an engine to
Columbia, dynoed it. loaded it in the trunk and hauled a** for Charlotte.
Got it on the dyno in Charlotte before it had cooled off from the session in
Columbia. With no changes to the engine it made 6 more hp in Charlotte than
it did in Columbia 1 1/2 hours earlier. On an engine making 48 hp this is a
significant gain.
    Taught me that we were racing engines not dynos. Repeatability and
reliability are worth more in a dyno than the big number. Most of the
Winston Cup teams use Superflow engine dynos and Dynojet chassis dynos for
this reason, not for a big number. If it's repeatable and does the same
thing every time, You can use it to get better results. Besides, road
testing "It's got a little skip about 135. See if you can find out what it
is?" gets real old, real quick. Mark Riley