dyno stuff

Eric Bryant BRYANTE at ghsp.com
Thu May 3 15:01:46 GMT 2001

>     When I got the Dynojet, I wasn't as concerned with a "big
> number" as I
> was with repeatability run after run. When I'm tuning a car,
> I want the
> changes in numbers to be created by the vehicle and not from
> a reliability
> issue with the dyno. The dyno is a "tool" and a means to an
> end. Hopefully a
> better tuned car quicker and more safely than you could do in
> the street. As
> for any dynomometer giving up "perfectly accurate" numbers,
> does it really
> matter.

You make a great point, and I certainly wasn't dissing the Dynojet dyno one
bit.  It's just that people see the numbers that their car or bike puts up
on a DJ dyno, and then they compare it to the numbers from a Factory or
Mustang dyno and immediately get depressed.  It's not the dyno's fault, it's
the customer who wants bragging rights.

I agree that "accurate" dyno numbers shouldn't mean a thing.  I'm much more
concerned about run-to-run consistancy so that I can make accurate changes.
Some people could care less about that, though - they just want to know that
they're hitting their "magic" number, whatever that may be.

Eric Bryant
mailto:bryante at ghsp.com
http://www.novagate.com/~bryante