Gray Plugs

rr RRauscher at nni.com
Wed May 9 01:37:31 GMT 2001

With Bruce being off-list for a couple of days, I'll add what I can. Mild
detonation can show up in a number of ways. I've seen it as nothing more
than a light dusting of black specks (carbon blown off chamber walls) on
a pure white insulator, to light audible knock. Sometimes a loud exhaust
can mask audible knock. A roughness in the engine can also be a sign
of light detonation.

What I think is happening here, is that audible knock is being covered
(smothered) by excess fuel. I've seen this before where the fuel pressure
was a bit high (carb & too rich), and timing was added until it felt good.

It was a number of years ago that I last saw this, and at the time did not
know what to think of it (the gray plugs). I remember checking the timing
this guy was running & backed it off. Then checking the fuel pressure & adjusted
it to a proper value. He constantly over-revved the engine & shortly thereafter
cut the block in half (Pontiac 389). I think what Bruce is saying below (change
in chemistry) really explains this case.

I do know that after the adjustments the engine ran much better. In closing
I would tend towards the gray plugs as not detonating. However, it is showing
that a problem does exist.

BobR.

p.s. speaking of plugs, what is the reason for 'spider webbed' plug insulators?