EGOR Output Signal Survey

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Fri May 18 05:00:27 GMT 2001

On Thu, 17 May 2001 21:37:09 -0400 "Mark S. Riley"
<turbotuneusltd at triad.rr.com> writes:

> [...]

I am hoping someone will suggest an off the shelf
digital display.

> I have one of the little led light
> shows
> that you hook up to the O2 sensor and it will tell you A/F ratio,
> (not). In
> operation with 10 leds and the "middle" being marked ".5 volt" it is
> a blur.
> It is real time from the O2 sensor and is virtually useless till WOT
> where
> the activity slows down a little bit. If the wide band tracks the
> fuel air
> ratio at light throttle, the bar graph will be unreadable unless it
> is
> slowed down.

Yes, those narrow band displays are a joke.  If they had
one LED to say rich or lean, they would be about as
useful.  The ECM doesn't even try to stop in the middle
anyway, its only practical to scan back and forth across
it.

> Slower sample rate or damped down slightly I think. I
> know the
> Horiba numeric display was slowed down from "straight up real time"
> but I
> don't know how much. At light throttle the tenths and hundreths are
> a blur
> and steadys out at WOT. Both would be wonderful.

Some more filtering may b needed; won't know till
car tests.  But thats not a big problem.

> > If we have a readout, how should it be calibrated,
> > and to what resolution?  I would suggest 10
> > divisions in either direction might be good for a
> > dashboard gauge, but up to 20 each way might
> > be better for wide range tuning and operation.
>
> 20 each way with a center point for stoich should be fine. As far as
> the
> numeric display, I would like to see down to the hundreths. I don't
> know if
> this is possible.
> I didn't realize I liked the 00.00 display on the Horiba till I used
> other
> meters that don't display that way.

> Many Thanks for asking our opinions. I wish I knew more about the
> electronics so I could contribute more than an opinion. later, Mark

Thanks for your input.  Bruce Roe