SFI without MAF

washburn lpwcruzr at sysmatrix.net
Sat May 26 17:51:58 GMT 2001

>From what I read in the manuals, the SFI systems, (on the trucks anyway)
only use the MAP sensor and speed density calculations as a backup to the
MAF sensor. If the VCM detects a malfunction with the MAF the VCM reverts to
a backup speed density operation. My question is, has anyone removed a MAF
sensor from one of these applications and checked how well the engine ran?
The extra duct work etc for the MAF is a problem in the project I'm working
on. I'm wondering just how well the system on this 98 5.7L would run in
speed density without the MAF? Assuming that the engine runs ok without the
MAF can the DTCs for the MAF be removed from the VCM so that the MIL is not
on all the time?

Paul Washburn
lpwcruzr at sysmatrix.net