Shielding the O2 Sensor Wire

Joe Scruggs TA81Joe at home.com
Sat May 26 19:13:47 GMT 2001

I've had good luck with braided shielding in other applications
(specifically, fire and gas detection systems), but it is very critical NOT
to ground both ends.  The shield needs to be grounded on one end and the
other protected by heat shrink or any method to prevent it from creating
another ground path.  What happens is the creation of an antenna.  I missed
putting heat shrink on one end of a cable and only a few wires from the
braid touched the conduit.  When a portable radio was brought into the
vicinity and keyed - the system tripped.  It turns out that no shield is
better than one grounded on both ends (in my experience anyway).

Joe