NYT article - GM cylinder dropping

Marteney, Steven J. smarteney at xlvision.com
Wed May 30 17:15:33 GMT 2001

How come it's easier to crank an engine with all the spark plugs out (same
as valves open) than it is with all the plugs in?

Also, if you pull one spark plug, gas mileage decreases.  If that were the
case, the other 7 cylinders would just pick up the pace a bit and efficiency
wouldn't be lost.  Or, how about this?  Try turning an engine with a wrench
BY HAND with the plugs in and out.  Which is easier?  I'm trouble with this
explanation.

Steve