lightning strikes my '85 vette!

Eric Bryant BRYANTE at ghsp.com
Thu May 31 20:03:46 GMT 2001

> From: Rich Vandervoort [mailto:richvandervoort at hotmail.com]
> Subject: Re: lightning strikes my '85 vette!
>

> Electronics in commercial aircraft that have wires that go
> outside the
> pressurized aircraft interior are designed and tested so that
> they can
> withstand lightning strikes.  This adds significantly to the
> design and
> construction cost.  Auto electronics (GM)are typically only
> designed to
> survive +24 and -12 volts.

You've typically got some conducted immunity testing, and depending on the
manufacturer and functional classification of the module, you can inflict
200V pulses across the power lines.

Don't forget ESD testing, where they zap a module with 8-24kV.

Neither one really simulates a lightning hit (please note dramatic
understatement), but automotive modules are protected against impulses
higher than 24 V.

Eric Bryant
mailto:bryante at ghsp.com
http://www.novagate.com/~bryante