.junkyard TBI - NOW: GUN CONTROL

Kurek, Larry lkurek at anl.gov
Thu May 31 21:48:54 GMT 2001

OK guys, not quite the forum for gun control issues, so let's chill out on
this. However, let me share a bit of my personal experience with you.

First off, I am/was a HUGE supporter of the 2nd ammendment and the NRA. Went
to rallies, became a life member, wrote to my legisltaure, etc. I would have
considered myself a VERY responsible gun owner.

However, on January 1 of this year, my wife of 12years and her "boyfriend"
dropped a bomb on me that they were in love. He was a friend of mine, and
the husband of my wifes best friend. Be that as it may, I was rather
intoxicated and one thing led to another and the firearm was pulled out and
fired. Nobody was killed, thank God, but the boyfriend did catch a ricochet
in the leg. I am now facing a felony charge in Illinois with no probation
possible and 6-25 minimum sentence. I was NEVER in trouble with the law in
my life, so needless to say, this wasn't my habit.

Bottom line, I haven't had a drink since New Years, nor do I ever think I
will pick up a gun again in my life (even if allowed to). I have trouble
watching "action" movies where there is any shooting involved (good luck
finding a movie that doesn't). I learned a VERY valuable set of lessons from
this whole thing... 1)never say never and 2)if this can happen to me, it
could happen to anyone.

By no means am I signing up for HCI membership anytime soon, but I am
definately not for unrestricted rights either. Rather than offer an opinion
one way or the other, I am staying neutral on this from now on.

Later,

Larry

BTW, while this hasn't been THE issue, my wife filed for divorce to continue
the relationship with her boyfriend. I came to find this was the 6th affair
she had during our marriage. If it wasn't for our kids (6 and 4), I would
say see you. FWIW, the above may keep me from getting custody (sole or
joint) of my kids as well. That sucks, since I was, and always will be, a
VERY involved, loving father. Sigh....