gm efi conversion for a mopar 2.2?

Ivan Blackford itech at lks.net
Mon Sep 3 02:41:52 GMT 2001

thanks for all the info...hopefully i can shed some light on my
situation....

the van in question is an 85 dodge mini ram van (same as caravan, but no
seats...)

the 2.2 is carb, but it isn't feedback. the plan is to take an exhaust
manifold from a tbi 2.2 and bolt it on to the head. that would give me an O2
sensor. next, I will take and put either a tbi manifold (for a tbi
conversion) or a turbo manifold for a mpfi conversion. The turbo setup uses
the same head as the carb and tbi..(minor water jacket differences from what
I've researched), so the head _shouldn't_  need any reworking to make it
work. The knock sensor is something I'd have to figure out...the turbo has
it, but of course I don't have a turbo block. A map/maf sensor wouldn't be a
problem...it's something I could easily find a way to work it in. The fuel
pump is a mechanical type, so it would have to go for sure. I could easily
swap in a later gas tank with an in-tank pump, that would probably be my
best option. I guess my biggest concern would be getting the signal from the
distributor to play nicely with a gm ecm. I don't know how i'd be able to
that...maybe there are specific ecm's that will work better than others. Any
advice on this would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks.
Ivan Blackford
itech at lks.net