ALDL Updates was DIY-WB Output Voltage Scaling

Malcolm Robb, LC 0112G Webmaster at lotus-carlton.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Sep 3 12:35:30 GMT 2001

Not strictly true. Sure if you just request the standard ALDL data stream
of 63 odd bytes you can't exceed 10 ish frames per second, but there are
other ways to kill a cat.

1) The byte stream the scanner sends TO the ECU to tell it to send data
back (Mode 1) is $F4,$57,$01,$00,$B4 (for my car). The $00 at byte 4 tells
the ECU to transmit 'Frame 0'. ECU Software then looks up the address of a
table for 'Frame 0' and starts transmitting the data specified in that
table. One of the bytes in the table header specifies how long the frame
is. As most of you know, frame 0 is usually 63 bytes of data long, plust
another 3 bytes of header and a checksum, making 67 in all. In my ECU, the
only frame defined is 'Frame 0', but if memory serves me right, the frame
table lookup table is 8 locations in size. Therefore, it is possible to add
your own extra frames containing only the value's you are interested in -
things like RPM, MAP, MAT etc. They need only be as long as the data you
want to transmit. Then you could request the ECU to transmit that frame
much more often using a command string like $F4,$57,$01,$01,$B5 (to request
More 1, Frame 1).  To do this, you only need to modify the Frame Pointer
table, and locate some unused EPROM to store the pointers to the variables
you want to transmit. Depending upon the length of the frame, you should be
able to achieve frame rates of 10 to 50 frames a second.

2) You can add frames to the heartbeat table too. This would mean that the
ECU automatically transmitted the values you were interested in, instead of
you having to 'ask' for them. This should give you increased data rates,
because you don't have to send the 5 byte Mode 1 request to the ECU. It may
even be possible to 100% load the bus, giving you hundreds of samples per
second.

3) This is something I've been meaning to try, and never got round to it.
There is also a Mode 3 request string, which allows you to request the ECU
to send you back the value (or values) of up to 4 memory locations. If you
know which locations in RAM are used to store the paramaters you are
interested in, then you could use a Mode 3 request to get a higher sample
rate - Without blowing a new EPROM. Assuming you wanted 4 values read back,
you would have to send a 12 byte mode 3 request string to the ECU, and it
would respond with an 8 byte reply. Hence 20 bytes per request, instead of
the 70 odd for a standard Mode 1, so you should get close to 40 samples per
second.

The only thing that's fixed is the baud rate (8192 baud) which means you
will never achieve more than 800 or so bytes per second. The mode 1 request
string is 5 bytes long, so 10 requests a second accounts for 50 bytes, or
6% of the bus bandwidth. In the Mode 3 request, the request string accounts
for 60% of the bandwidth.  For increased sample rates the way to go (IMHO)
is to fiddle with the heartbeat table, in which case you have no request
overhead. I'm guessing, but I expect that's what Richard W has done. But
most of you tuners are already modifying tables for fuel and spark, so it
isn't too much of a giant leap to start modifying ALDL tables as well.

But as Bruce (kind of) implied, getting more data is one thing, but
deciding what it means, and what to do with it is another. Sorry if any of
you thing this is just programmer techno-babble, but if anyone is really
interested I'm sure I could try and explain more fully.

Cheers,
Malcolm  Robb, LC 0112G - Back to lurk Mode 0 till I have something else I
think I can add.