Flash VATS

Greg Parmer gparmer at acesag.auburn.edu
Wed Sep 5 02:55:46 GMT 2001

> The friend thinks he's a truck thief, or the truck thinks the friend's a thief?

The latter. :)  If anything, the truck is taking all *his* money...as is
the
case with most of us helpless gearheads.

> Isn't the passkey system incorporated in the ignition cylinder?  Are there any
> obvious differences in the keys?

Not really. On our 2000 Olds it's got "PK3" stamped on the key. The
trickery is
apparently in the rubberized part of the key.

I read about it in the manual, then verified by having W-M cut a plain
key. It'll
get you in out of the rain, but the starter never engages. The dealer
has them
in stock. I'll know soon just how much GM like$ those fancy keys.

It would've been easier to look for the security light, but I'm too
stubborn to
take GM at their word.
-greg