ALDL Tuning (Mode $04 commands)

Malcolm Robb, LC 0112G Webmaster at lotus-carlton.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Sep 5 09:25:20 GMT 2001

I think you've probably hit the nail on the head. If people get the Mode 1
stuff wrong, then all that happens is they get duff data printed to the
screen. Get the Mode 4 stuff wrong, and you risk a big bang. It looks to me
that spark adjustment is possible +/- 90 degrees from TDC! Quite dangerous
at 6000 RPM putting out 400 BHP I suspect. Given that there isn't much
published info on Mode 4, it's going to require people to dis-assemble each
and every program mask, just to make sure that some twerp at GM hasn't
changed the order of some of the parameters.

I use your software all the time. As soon as I'm happy I know what all the
Mode 4 parameters are for my car, I'll try it, and let you know the
results. However, I'm scared to publicaly post the results, incase someone
else thinks the same will work on their car, tries it, and then accuses me
of blowing up their engine. Similarly, any keyboard based program risks the
$4C/$C4 typing error problem that Jeremy pointed out.

The level of computer literacy varies widely across all list members, and I
suspect what's needed is a Windows type interface with 2 graphical 'knobs'
on it, one for A/F and one for Spark. Maybe a few switches to disable
closed loop, operate fans etc. Also perhaps an 'Expert' mode, which allows
much greater ranges to be used for more advanced users. Add a dial gauge
for the DIY-WB sensor input, and ....  Well you get the picture.

I'd appreciate some input from the more experianced tuners here. Am I
wasting my time trying to do this, or would such a software tool be useful
? It would be freeware/shareware to all of course !

Cheers,
Malcolm Robb, LC 0112G