wb lcd display

Dave Mumert dmumert at telusplanet.net
Tue Sep 11 02:33:46 GMT 2001

Hi Bill

I have an Excel spreadsheet that I have been working on.  If you use a 3.2
volt reference for the A2D (10bit) you will get 16 counts for each .05 volts
input, 4 if you only use 8 bits of the A2D.  I would divide the 8 bit value
by 4 (save the "remainder" for later) and then look up a value in a table
(value A).   You could then interpolate to a closer value.  To interpolate
then look up the next higher entry in the table (value A+1), subtract value
A from value A+1 and divide the result by 4.  This gives you value of each
count on the A2D.  Fine tune the reading by adding this back to value A
"remainder" times.  This is probably as clear as mud,  if I get time I will
code it for a PIC.

I am a little concerned about the A2D lines getting zapped with static.  I
would add 100 ohm resistors in series with .1uF to ground (as close to the
PIC as possible).  The cap will also help supply the current to the A2D in
case the input impedance is a bit high.  Either Microchip or TI have an app
note on using capacitive input SA converters, they recommend a cap on the
input.  If you use an external reference you will need to use RA3 for the
reference and move the fourth A2D to RA4 or RA5

Dave Mumert