off topic but i have to say it.

Toby Corkindale tjcorkin at sa.pracom.com.au
Sat Sep 15 11:25:11 GMT 2001

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Brian L Massey wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:23:50 -0500 Gary Heuston
> <gary.heuston at afwa.af.mil> writes:
> > Keep
> > in mind you
> > are under no obligation whatsoever to continue to live in this
> > "messed up
> > country" that the government has provided you, if theres another
> > country you
> > think is doing a better job then go live there.
> > I am by no means a "Government can do no wrong" type of person, but
> > this kind of
> > crap really gets to me.
>
> Gary, I do sympathize with your retort, and appreciate your response, but
> you must have missed the fact that this individual was posting from
> Australia, and so most probably isn't a US citizen. (His email was from a
> .com.au address).
>
> BTW, just to be crystal clear, I'm not *at all* making any kind of
> generalization of Aussies. They like all nations, are composed of
> individuals with their own personal views of such matters. Actually, on
> the whole I'm quite fond of australians; they seem to have an enjoyable
> spunk about them, and I can't help but feel that many of them would
> deeply sympathize with the US and it's grief and anger, at this time.
>
> Brian

You are correct, I am Australian.

I am sorry if my previous post sounded like i didn't care about the tragedy
that happened.. I did not want to give that impression. I was seriously
stunned and saddened by what went on - It really is terrible. But I am
scared that, while clouded by dispair and anger, the USA might strike back
blindly, and cause things to get worse.

What has happened is bad, but it would pale in comparison to the devastation
caused by a third world war.

Things aren't as black-and-white as they seem - if you go off and bomb a few
countries in retaliation, you risk them and their friends striking back.
Don't forget there are quite a few countries who would love an opportunity
to hit back at the US, or even just some unrelated country, given the
opportunity. (Not Australia, of course! We're pretty harmless in the scale
of things)

WW1 and WW2 started over less than this.
A lot of people have died in the past week, and they're all (except 18
terrorists) innocents.

You only need 1 person to have a terrorist. It doesn't matter how much of
the middle east you bomb, or how many foreign people you kill on their, or
your, soil, you will still have someone, somewhere, who could become a
terrorist.

And the more innocent people (on their "side") that are killed, the more
reason you give someone to become a terrorist.

In the long term, violence only begats more violence.
We all need to mourn, and then to work out the best thing to do, rationally.

-Toby