off topic but i have to say it.

Brian L Massey blocklm at juno.com
Sat Sep 15 17:12:56 GMT 2001

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001 09:26:08 -0600 "Programmer" <nwester at eidnet.org>
writes:
> Don't take me wrong, guys--but fighting terrorism is going to be
> like
> fighting the drug problem. You're only going to give them more of a
> reason
> by making their leaders martyrs for their cause. They're expecting
> response, the world opinion is with the US to attack--I'm just not
> as sure
> now as I was on Tuesday to "nuke" them all. I think
> a tactful attack is going to be better...you've gotta take out
> their leaders and leadership.

I can see how this depressing thought comes to mind after the first gut
reactions of "nuke em". But I do think there is a distinct difference
between the "drug war" and this situation. Give me a moment.

Yes, there aren't any distinct geographical lines drawn on a map, but
there is a distinct ideological line drawn. These so-called
"fundmentalists" have declared war on all of modern civilization. Not
ideological war, but physical weaponry war. And they are escalating this
war to the max, openly and avowedly.

I think what you're expressing, Lyndon, is the worry that the US
government will manage this war  like the "drug war". All I can think to
say is, "that's up to us". The drug lords aren't likely to resort to
germs/chems/nukes, or even JetA-fuel bombs, but these jihadites clearly
are. Drug traffickers have a mostly merchant mentality, and as merchants
they (conceivably) can be put out of business if you deprive them of
distribution or customers, or both. But these jihadites are ideologs
(fanatics); they aren't in it for the money, but for the blood. All you
can do is exterminate them.

Sure, you can't excise them all, but if we make it clear that their
ideology is anathema and draws a bullseye on any adherents, you can make
them like cockroaches, afraid of the light. We let them grow in numbers
and infest the kitchen, to the point where there will now be cockroach
bodies strewn all over the landscape and a real mess. But the sooner we
get out the Black Flag, the better. Time's a-wasting.

Brian