Opinions wanted ( analysis of the effects of spark advance variation on vacuum)

Ron Schroeder rjs at bnl.gov
Fri Sep 21 15:44:37 GMT 2001

At 11:17 AM 9/21/00 -0400, you wrote:
<snip>  So plug gap will have a rather large effect also (in
>response to you using a .040" plug gap).
>Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I am glad you brought that up.  I used to think that once the fuel was
ignited, it mattered very little what the gap was or how much energy there
was in the spark.  After reading Dr. Jacobs book on ignition, I see his
opinion is very different, but if every thing that I read in that book was
true, then most cars would be running around with a lot more miss-fires
than the seem to.

So what is the effect of gap, big whopping sparks and multiple sparks
compared to just a stock spark at the right time?

Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH
E. E. S.
wd8cdh at bnl.gov