Small TBI question (of my own)

Ron Schroeder rjs at bnl.gov
Tue Sep 25 17:03:03 GMT 2001

At 11:18 PM 9/24/01 -0700, you wrote:
>I have a Suzuki Samurai and it is my daily driver, though increasingly I
>have tilted the 'compromises' towards the off-road driving I do.  I have
>done a lot of mods for off-roading, and a buncha engine mods but I still
>have the stock electronic carb.
>
>I am interested in a fairly cheap & available EFI.  Suzuki uses a TBI
>starting in the early 90's but some report that it is fragile and eats
>ECM's off-roading, and they are *expensive*.
>
>I have been considering a small GM TBI unit and have been reading all I can
>find on the topic.  I'd appreciate any suggestions for books that offer
>good info on these TBI units.

One of the small TBIs that was suggested to me was from a Geo Metro.  I
think the "High Performance" engine is a 1.3L 4cyl.  Next size up seems to
be used on 1.8L engines.

Have you looked into whether a 1.6L engine from a Tracker/Sidekick would
bolt up to the tranny (or take the engine and tranny from a 2wd Tracker).
A few people have put in VW engines, both gas and diesel in the Sammy.  A
kit was available from Keltec later discontinued and now expected back in
early 2002.

http://www.rocky-road.com/diesel.html

Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH