TBI on blown small-block?

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at home.com
Wed Sep 26 04:04:16 GMT 2001

Jess,  the small displacement Whipple screws (with moderate ICR's, and as
the public can generally purchase them) are marginally better than the
Eaton/Magnuson equivalents in terms of adiabatic and volumetric efficiency,
but, are far more efficient than most of the straight lobe roots offerings
for sure.  Like most other things in life, you have to examine comparable
units at comparable flows and pressures.  If comparing screw's VS root's,
you'll generally find screws are slightly more efficient overall across the
majority of the engine/crank speed range versus modern root's units.  If
comparing screws to centrifugals, then you'll find the two equivalanet at
ideal RPM's and operating conditions, with the screws superior at lower
RPM's.  Can an available screw have 80-85% effiiciency on an IC engine?
Adiabatic (important) NO.  Volumetric YES.  Just my own personal
impressions.  You might want to bounce these off Whipple if so
inclined...........

Walt.