[Gmecm] Re: Running V8 with $A1 DIS code

WopOnTour wopontour
Mon Apr 18 02:10:21 UTC 2005

I know of the diagram you speak of quite well (it's accuracy has been called
to question quite often). In that diagram the waveform labled D is the 4X
and the EST line is F, however they should be of the identical shape (50%)
EST is shown correctly as it's essentially IDENTICAL to reference (ie
reference is used to create EST), just "delayed" to represent the advance on
the next cylinder coming up on compression. (and lined up perfectly with
reference) while BYPASS is low resulting in a fixed base timing of approx 10
BTDC.
If you look closely at the diagram it becomes obvious that something is
wrong as the rising edges of reference (begine dwell) is at varing spots
with respect to the TDC lines. I have scoped this on a 1999 STS engine and
found it to be 50%, I dont believe the Auroras were any different, but you
knever know!

4cylinder DIS reluctor has 6 equally spaced + 1 sync
The 4 cylinder IS a 2X reference which as you suspect is a 33% duty(dwell)
66% wait state (60/120 degrees) so the rising edge of the 60 degree waveform
(dwell begin) coincides with approx 70 BTDC (thank heavens for current
limiting) then on the trailing edge>spark at 10BTDC, then 120 degrees low
(ignore one notch) . Check you email I sent you a waveform diagram for the
4cyl. Your idea of using it for the Northstar may work if on the Aurora the
reference is in fact 33% as well. Please email me if you ever can absolutely
ascertain this.
Regards
WOT