[Gmecm] "Peak and Hold" injectors on a saturated driver

bcroe at juno.com bcroe
Sat Apr 23 04:09:12 UTC 2005

OK, finally tried my idea.  This is for you guys driving
P&H injectors with a saturated driver and a series
resistor.  Another variation is mine (AC*EL VII), a
current limited driver driving the P&H injectors in
my 79 Cadillac, but the current limit is way too
high, and the power gets too high at max power.

This is not a fancy schmancy design with buffers
and new drivers, digital access, or programability.
Your drivers still do the work, with a little pulse
shaping added.  You manually adjust a resistor
to set peak  time, and you select a power resistor
to limit the hold current.

So you are using the power resistor (between the
injector and the driver), selected to allow the injector
rated hold current.  For each driver.  I am adding a
MOSFET across the resistor to short it out.  This gives
the peak current the injector wants.  After the desired
peak time interval is passed, an RC ckt driving the
MOSFET times out.  The MOSFET turns off, more
gradually than that sharp edge from the standard
P&H, but fast enough.  The injector is already open,
so the exact time doesn't matter.

When your driver turns off, the injector closes and
kicks back through the hold current limiting resistor
to your driver kickback clipper, probably set around
30 V to speed up injector closing.  The injector will
go another dozen volts higher because of the drop
through the hold current limiting resistor, but this
won't damage anything.  The infinitesimal decrease
in injector closing time is nothing compared to the
faster opening.  Those who already have series
resistors were already living with this extra kick.  The
RC circuit resets itself for the next injection cycle, and
we are ready to go again.  Those who want to get the
kickback pulse back to the original value (why bother?)
could add your own diode network around the injector
coil.

You are using your original driver here, which is still
in control of the pulse width.  It must have the ability
to drive the peak current, for at least the 2 ms or so.
And you will need a circuit for every driver, that's 8 for
my sequential injection.  Each driver needs that
power resistor you were using before, and about
half a dozen other parts.  That's about 50 for me.
Now that I have that AC*EL tamed, I can pay
attention to tuning.

Bruce Roe