[Gmecm] TPS for diesel

burntkat at sc.rr.com burntkat
Tue Dec 20 23:16:58 UTC 2005

IIRC, been a little while-- the 5.7 uses BOPC bolt pattern. There is
an adapter on Summit for $58. I'll buy one, trace it out, and
fabricate the second one myself out of plate steel. :)

Link: http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?
Ntt=olds+chevy+adapter&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=
115&target=egnsearch.asp  and it's actually $55. Beauty. :)

The main reason why the 5.7 doesn't have a good reputation comes down
to dealer education: they didn't educate people about the diesel's
requirements-- notably, oils. Oils of the time were not as good as
they are now, and people were using "just any old oil"- including that
made for gasoline engines.

Early on there were some issues with weak cranks <resolved>, head
bolts <resolved-- and mostly had to do with people reusing headbolts
at gasket replacement-- a nono in anyone's book!>, and some minor
issues with stud thread depth on the bottom end of the motor.

These problems are avoidable by getting a later production <82 and up,
I think> unit, and using ARP main and head studs, and a good quality
gasket. I am considering using a copper head gasket, but all
indications are that a TTY Felpro gasket is more than up to the job
with a good ARP stud kit.

Not my info, I'm standing on the shoulders of giants on this one.
Naysayers should open their mind, do some research, and decide for
themselves. I suggest in particular listening to "dieselolds" on gm-
diesel.com . Sharp cookie, that bloke.

I only have plans for the 2 motors, immediately. Once I've proven the
concept to the wife, the third may well end up going in her Grand
Cherokee. Meanwhile, it's heads will be used to mock up a turbo system
which I will weld up out of Weld-Ls. I have a pair of turbos that were
going to go on my 2.8L Turbo Fiero project that ought to work just
fine for this use till I can get the turbo motor built-up and can plot
out the volumetric efficiencies, A/R and all the like. IE: they're on
hand and unused, having been rebuilt, and so it keeps the project
cheap. ;)