[Gmecm] PE lean issues on a ?747 TBI

Per Lonnborg perlon
Wed Jul 6 15:40:11 UTC 2005

Hi,

I run a Monza with a stock 350TBI with the 747 ECM from a ?88 Van, the only
modifications so far is headers into a 3" single free-flowing exhaust.
I haven?t made any bigger mods in the chip more than lower the Main fuel
Tables a bit because nearly all BLM values where on the rich side.

I have made 2 trips to the strip with this setup, the first time approx one
month ago I did a 14.64/95 run.
Last Sunday best ET was slower, 14.98/94 despite the fact I had switched
to a lower gear rear end and with POSI!

Last Sunday the weather temperature was much higher(=lower density).

I logged the runs with WinALDL,(I?ve attached parts of the data) and after analyzing
the values one can clearly see that the car goes lean on WOT, especially
last Sunday.

Now to the questions:
---------------------

1. How does a 747 ECM compensate for air density changes in PE mode? Or maybe
it can?t?

2. Is there a way to see when this ECM is in PE mode?

3. If you look in the attached file, you can see that the battery voltage was
about 0.5V lower the slower run, can that be an issue? But I guess the fuel
pressure regualator should take care of that part...

Oh, I should also mention that the knock sensor is disconnected, the cable to
it broke, and now I can?t reach the knock sensor due to that the headers
are to close!
In other words, I guess I?m a bit on the dangerous side with this engine
in PE!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,

/Per