[Gmecm] runing two MAF meters

Jay Vessels jay
Fri Jul 8 01:20:42 UTC 2005

Hi there!

I would guess two MAFs would require some pretty funky air cleaner
ducting; an example would be two air cleaners ducted through two MAFs
into a Y into the intake, or perhaps two air cleaners/MAFs, each one
plumbed into half the engine?

If your MAF outputs are 0-5V (i.e. L98 TPI) and that is what your ECM
wants, then I'd guess some sort of op-amp that would average the two
readings would work.  Sounds easy, though you'd have a lot of work in
the cal. to get it right.  I could see some flow bench work in your
future (which is an excuse to build that DIY flow bench!).

If your MAF output is a variable frequency, the easiest method that
comes to mind is a PIC or similar microcontroller.  Let it read the MAF
data from each sensor and generate an appropriate output frequency.  The
benefit here is that you could use, say, LS1 MAFs and feed your LT1.  Or
let your PIC generate a variable voltage and use those LS1 MAFs on your
L98.  Nice thing about a micro is that you get to mix 'n match to suit
your needs.

Jay Vessels
1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
1984 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer Sport, 2.8V6 carb. (for now)