[Gmecm] Olds 307 injection alive

David Allen davida1
Tue Jul 12 01:43:09 UTC 2005

Congrats on getting it to run, Chris!
  While I haven't worked with your exact ECM, mine will simply not work at
all if the chip is in backwards or the emulator isn't plugged in correctly.
It will do any manner of unpredictable things if the chip is not seated
completely.  Just my $0.02 worth!
  On my car, the ECM will not actuate the pump prime function if the
ignition hasn't been OFF for a certain amount of time since it was ON last.
In other words, if I turn the ignition OFF and then back ON immediately the
fuel pump will not run for 2 seconds.
  As for the fuel pump, on my Nova the pump is mounted above and forward of
the tank.  There's probably about 6' of fuel line between the pump inlet and
the fuel tank.  I've had the same used pump in there for 5 years now without
problems.
  HOWEVER I must say these pumps are completely intolerant of foreign
objects.  I locked up one on my boat EFI retrofit.  You can sandwich a
standard "faucet screen" between the Ford inline pump and the inlet fitting.
This screen could clog easily so it requirse filtration before hand.   It is
just a safety factor to prevent an instant catastrophic pump failure if one
piece of debris gets in the line between the tank strainer and the pump.
  On my boat there is a standard marine spin-on fuel filter between the tank
and the pumps, and on my 1972 Nova, I adapted a "sock" designed for an
in-tank pump so it would be on the inlet tube inside the fuel tank. I used
JB Weld to attach the sock to a flare fitting, then placed a flare nut on
the pickup tube and flared it so the sock could be attached.
  Since yours is temporary, just install an inline strainer in the suction
line, like that used on a Cummins engine to keep from killing the pump.
Best of luck!
David