[Gmecm] ethanol

Tom Prucha tprucha
Wed Jul 20 04:25:06 UTC 2005

Many of the later models are already using fuel system components that
can handle high amounts of Ethanol.  Some of the 5.3L GM truck engines
are actually FFVs, designed for E85, but I don't think your Cadillac is
(http://www.e85fuel.com/information/general_motors.php). It would be
interesting to see of any of the fuel system components, such as
flexible fuel lines, are different on an FFV 5.3L vs. the Gasoline 6.0L.
The engines are otherwise the same basic configuration and should have
the same fuel line routing and sizes. The physically interchangeable
components might actually be the same part numbers, but I doubt it... GM
is too cheap to spend any extra money without getting the "credits" for
the FFV designation. The reason an FFV doesn't usually cost more than
the gasoline-only equivalent vehicle is because of these "credits",
which justify absorbing the minor extra cost. The following link shows
one of the many references you'll find if you go looking for evidence of
this "fuel system materials upgrade".  The reference is in the "Ethanol"
section on page 15 :

(http://www.dnr.state.la.us/SEC/EXECDIV/TECHASMT/data/alternative/AltFuelsReport2003.pdf)

I speculate that your Caddy owner's manual recommends a maximum of 10%
Ethanol, and intentionally exceeding this is likely a cause for
"permanent warranty invalidation". It is very risky to run E85 if the
vehicle isn't designed for it, unless you're sure of what parts are
different on the the FFV equivalent vehicle. Check with your dealer to
be sure of the warranty concern (you might want to make this inquiry
anonymously). For example, if a vehicle designated for gasoline-only is
run on E85 and a fuel leak develops (probably only over a long period of
time) due to corrosion of a flexible fuel line, not only is it a
dangerous fire hazard, but GM will probably NOT honor any associated
warranty claims, and they may win in court in any attempted law suit, as
the owner's manual specifically states NOT to do run more than 10% alcohol.

The starting problems only occur at colder ambient temperatures. Some
FFVs have an extra injector for cold-starts.  Others can simply meter
enough fuel through the normal (or over-size) injectors.  Corrosion
problems are more of a long-term concern. Limited exposure to E85 on a
gasoline-only vehicle is said not to be a problem
(http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/faqs/misfueling.php). Exposure to an
aluminum intake manifold, cylinder head, or piston, doesn't "seem" to be
a problem as the Ethanol doesn't normally "puddle" on the aluminum.  M85
is much more corrosive than E85.  Here is an interesting paper I found
on the subject of corrosion.

http://www.hawaii.gov/dbedt/ert/afrw/afrw-07.pdf