[Gmecm] 1227747: Cyl select/BPW starting troubles...

kris schneider botboy60
Mon Jun 27 01:53:28 UTC 2005

Ok, so I've been having some issues...I just got my Ostrich and am looking
to iron things out.  The general consensus from what I've seen on
fullsizechevy.com forums and this mailing list is that the less you "lie" to
your ecm the better, but this has me stumped...

Setup is in a '72 Cheyenne/20, TH350, 4.11 rears, 350 with a stock cam,
stock intake (for now anyway), TBI-->Qjet adapter and a 454 tbi with 350
injectors.  I've got a moates G2 and an ostrich in a '7747 ECM.  The bin I
started with was from a 4.3 truck because it would start the easiest.

Now, here's where the headaches start.  BPW is set at 135, and cylinder
select is at 6.  Truck starts within ~3 seconds of cranking and runs
descent...gets horrendous mileage, but its missing a VSS and I know I need
to do some more BLM tuning.

Now, when I turn the bpw up/down more than ~3 with it at 6 cyls, the truck
won't start.  I turn the cylinder select to 8, it won't start, I keep it at
8 and I go up/down, still can't seem to get it to start.

For the time being, I can't afford a heated WB02 sensor (tho in a couple
weeks I'll probably buy one) so I don't know exactly how much fuel its
dumping in.  I guess my question is, does anyone have any advice for tuning
starting so I can get the cyls select at the proper number, and have the
truck start every time?  I mean, I know the obvious answer is to leave cyl
at 6 and BPW at 135, but I don't want that throwing off my logging and
tuning and making things harder than they need to be.  Thanks for the help
Kris
www.speedyoldtruck.com