[Gmecm] What does VSS do exactly?

Charles McDowell charles
Mon Jun 27 02:15:56 UTC 2005

You're probably right.  Can you (or anyone else) point me in the right
direction for VSS stuff for an 83 K-5 Blazer with a 350?

I think the most pain will be that I bought a pre-made harness with no VSS,
so I'll have to dig into that to make the connections.

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org] On Behalf
Of Jay Vessels
Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 3:34 PM
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: [Gmecm] What does VSS do exactly?

Hi there!

VSS does several things, and the newer the ECM the more things it's tied to.
The older 1227747 vintage ECMs do several things with VSS, most notably
parking the IAC at speed, and I believe stall saver (i.e. sudden throttle
close, such as letting off the throttle and pushing in the clutch at speed
when coming to a stop).

Newer ones such as the $A1 code in the '730 (1991-1994 3.1V6 MPI) use VSS to
determine much more, such as throttle follower (manual shift assist), stall
saver, idle speed adjustment, spark advance, etc. since that code changes
fuel and spark strategy based on whether the vehicle is moving.

Considering how simple it is to hook up (stock parts abound as do
aftermarket ones) and the benefits in drivability (which is a big reason
  to go EFI in the first place), why not connect it?

Jay Vessels
1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
1984 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer Sport, 2.8V6 carb. (for now)