[Gmecm] 305/350 Swap 10-month Progress Report...

David Haggard david
Thu Mar 17 02:49:09 UTC 2005

> finally broke down and installed a new cat. Car passed 15mph with NOx 10%
> below max allowable. Strange though that the 25mph test remained virtally
> unchanged from when I had it tested with the gutted cat.

About cats--
CarCraft magazine has been doing a bunch of dyno tests with and without cats. They have discovered that a properly installed hi-performance cat INCREASES torque and horsepower, usually 5-10 ft-lbs increase in torque and 5-7 more horsepower.

Don't be too quick to gut out or eliminate the cat. Instead, replace it with a CatCo or Random Technologies hi-performance cat. Random is the best, but danged expensive. CatCo is a very, very close second place, and usually costs under a hundred bucks.

Dave Haggard