[Gmecm] Vortec & LT1 crank sensors

Dave Jones hotrodder
Sat May 7 19:20:25 UTC 2005

The Vortec reluctor wheel is exactly the same part as what's on the OBDII
LT1's.
The crank sensor is nearly identical, but has a different part number due to
having the connector being straight, instead of at a 90? angle.

All the Vortec stuff will fit just fine on a regular SBC.  I cut about .100"
off the dampener hub with a lathe to account for the extra thickness of the
reluctor.  Only problem I had was with a GM 8" dampener that wouldn't work,
since the back edge of the dampener's outer ring laid back so far that it'd
hit the sensor body.  With a small stock dampener, or a Fluiddamper or
similar aftermarket piece, there's plenty of clearance.  Also a dual roller
chain won't quite fit with the 4X reluctor.  The GMPP 1/2" single roller
fits fine, as would a stock timing chain.

HTH,

Dave Jones
'96 Impala SS
'83 Trans Am ZZ4 TPI