[Gmecm] Ethanol

David Haggard david
Sun May 8 00:05:53 UTC 2005

Another suggestion. Not sure how it would work, though. Just a thought....

In the 70's and early 80's, some engines had heating grids under the carburetor to pre-heat the fuel mixture when it passed through, when the engine was cold. It was for two reasons-- cold engine emissions and hard starting when cold because of the low compression they were running back then.

These grids would be heated until the engine was warmed up, then shut off. Might work with ethanol.

David Haggard

   _____

From: gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org] On Behalf Of Olle Wilson, Skriv & Skruv
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2005 11:13 AM
To: For discussion of GM EFI hardware and software
Subject: [Gmecm] Ethanol

Hi everyone,

My Buick Estate Wagon 455 with TBI setup is now running on ethanol E85 and it works fine. Consumption is higher but the engine feels strong and runs smooth. It?s also nice to drive a car that people take as an environmental disaster and knowing it is completely the opposite way. Cold starting is a problem though if it is under 10 degrees celsius and I wanted to here if someone here is experimenting with this. I have seen some info on preheating but it seems to be much theory and not much practice.

Best regards

Olle