[Gmecm] Erasing EPROMs

William Lucke william.lucke
Sun May 8 16:39:19 UTC 2005

I finally tested out my modified EPROM eraser. It's a Spectroline PE-140.
I've modified it with a safety override switch to make it turn on with the
tray not in place. That way I can insert chips without removing them from
their carriers.
I know it turns on, and a I know that it lights up. I put a piece of paper
over the opening and saw blue glow through it. This shouldn't be bad, right?

Anyway, I have a chip from an OBD-I Cadillac Northstar. It has two 27C512
EPROMs. I removed the ESC board and the stickers over the erase windows and
put them into my eraser for 30 minutes. They did not erase. What do I need
to do to these chips to get them to erase?

Ok, the little circuit board that is on the carrier along with the chips...
what exactly is that? I've heard it referred to in various ways, but what
is the proper name for it and what is its function?
What is the proper term for the entire module... carrier, chips and the
aforementioned board?

Will