[Gmecm] HEI conversion & cam sync

bcroe at juno.com bcroe
Fri May 20 05:36:07 UTC 2005

I wouldn't mind hearing how to set "phase" between the
rotor and the timing pickup.  Otherwise the rotor may not
be partially parallel to the desired plug contact for all
timing conditions.  Of course that can be checked with
a transparent HEI cap afterwords, but it would be better
to set it up right before hand.

I have been thinking some more about adding cam
sync to the commonly available & very cheap CCC type
HEI.  Perhaps just dropping a plug wire through a pickup,
with a bit of signal processing, would be the easiest.  A
FIRST EFI from a decade and a half back used this
method, it seemed to do the job.  I am not anxious to
trade my HEI for a $400 aftermarker dist, which has less
high voltage insulation (smaller dia) and needs a separate
ign coil.  The HEI also handles the dwell problem, not so
sure about those others.  And the HEI can limp home on
10 deg advance with no external electronics.