[Gmecm] HEI conversion & cam sync

bcroe at juno.com bcroe
Fri May 20 19:15:56 UTC 2005

20 May 2005  "Carl Rumberger" <perfdyn at cwnet.com> writes:
> > I wouldn't mind hearing how to set "phase" between the
> > rotor and the timing pickup.

> With EST the rotor phasing isn't fixed.

Right, it wasn't fixed with a vacuum advance either.  But it
will cover a larger range with EST, because the mechanical
at least did not change phase for rpm.

> It should sweep across the cap terminal with timing
> change. The rotor phasing should be past the cap
> terminal with the most retarded computer timing signal
> (GM-EST). The rotor phasing should be before the cap
> terminal with the most advanced computer timing signal
> (by approximately the same amount that it was past
> when retarded).

Based on what I said above, phase doesn't care where
the weights are locked, because the star wheel is already
locked to the rotor.  Setting the initial 10 deg advance will
take care of any any variation relative to the shaft.

> You don' t have to have a see through cap to view this.
> With a timing light, note the retarded and advanced
> timing points. If you know the approx. spark tables you
> will be using, you already know these figures (assuming
> the timing is properly set). Position the crankshaft (static)
> at the advanced and retarded timing points and see
> where the rotor points relative to the cap terminal.

OK, with weights locked set initial 10 deg timing with
engine running, then stop and set the crank angle
midway between min and max advance.  If the rotor is
not centered on the cap terminal, I need to modify coil
angle (what used to be the vacuum advance input).
What I really want to adjust, is the body of the HEI (and
cap) while keeping the coil fixed in space,
so my 10 deg initail is maintained.

It's going to be hard to keep the coil fixed relative to the
shaft while moving the body coil angle.  Maybe a better
procedure is first lock the mechanical advance.  Then
statically line up the rotator with the cap terminal as
you said, in the middle of the advance range.  Now run
the engine (or maybe crank it) and adjust the previous
vacuum input (coil angle) to get 10 deg advance.

Changing the position of the "star wheel" to the rotor
mounting surface or changing the position of the cap
relative to the dist. housing don't sound like practical
approaches to me.

> > I have been thinking some more about adding cam
> > sync to the commonly available & very cheap CCC type
> > HEI.  Perhaps just dropping a plug wire through a pickup,
> > with a bit of signal processing, would be the easiest.
> SNIP
>
> Unless you plan to go sequential EFI or "coil on/near plug"
> ignition, I don't see any point in knowing cam position/sync.
>
> Carl Rumberger
> Performance Dynamics
> perfdyn at cwnet.com

My 79 Eldo already is sequential port injection.  I am using
one of the original HEI reed switches (originally one for
each batch of 4 injectors) for cam sync, but I want to go
to a CCC electronic advance HEI instead of the weights.

Using a timing light inductive pickup might be a quick
way to get started, thanks.  The circuit will be different to
get cam sync.  I also have a pickup from the
old FIR*T system, but you have to pull one end off a wire
to get it on.

thanks for helping me think this through

Bruce Roe