[Gmecm] BLM cell confusion

Gary Evans gary
Sun Nov 13 08:13:54 UTC 2005

No really, they exist. The $a1 and $88 masks for the 2.8 / 3.1 V6
engines use only 3 cells. There are probably others, used primarily
on "low budget" applications. The customary masks to work with ($8d
for example) are performance oriented, so the 16 cell calibrations
are better known in the GMECM community but 16 cells are by no means
standard across all applications.

If I was going to start from scratch on my project again, I would
definitely try to use one of the other masks that offer the usual 16
BLM cells. IMHO, the $a1 and $88 code bases are sloppily written and
not very easy to tune. I am no assembly expert, but from the work I
have done on the $a1 hac, the code appears to be a mess. Example: the
injector constant is part of one of the EGR tables. yeah.....

However, I need the 6+1 crank trigger DIS, and as far is I know $88
$8F and $A1 are the only masks that support it out of the box on the
V6. If there is another mask that supports 6+1 crank trigger, DIS,
*and* 16 BLM cells, I would love to hear about it because I am
getting the itch to do more tuning on my car, and I might be inclined
to try something new if it offered better tunability and cleaner (or
maybe just better documented) code.

-Gary