[Gmecm] BLM cell confusion

Gary Evans gary
Mon Nov 14 21:32:15 UTC 2005

Not Kidding.

If you have some time, check out the disassembly. There are only 3
cells defined. Unlike the 16 cell code, which determines cell based
on rpm and map, the $a1 and $88 define the cells based on VSS, BPW
and MAP.

Here are the definitions in the code:

                   			HIGH HYSTERESIS VALUE, WITH  KLCBPWL
870F        04      4 KCELIDLL 1.3 MPH    IF SPEED EXCEEDS THIS
THRESHOLD, CAN'T BE IDLE
                           			LOW HYSTERESIS VALUE, WITH KCELIDLH
8710        06      6 KCELIDLH   2 MPH    IF SPEED EXCEEDS THIS
THRESHOLD, CAN'T BE IDLE
                          			HIGH HYSTERESIS VALUE, WITH KCELIDLL
8711        24     36 KCELMAPL 31.3 KPA    DIVIDING POINT BETWEEN
PART THROTTLE CELL AND
						OVERRUN CELL LOW HYSTERESIS VALUE, WITH KCELMAPH
8712        37     55 KCELMAPH 37.2 KPA    HIGH MAP DETERMINES PART
THROTTLE CELL
      							HIGH HYSTERESIS VALUE, WITH KCELMAPL
8713      0080    128 KCELBPWL 1.95 MSEC   THRESH BETWEEN CELL 1 AND
CELL 2
                     			LOW HYSTERESIS VALUE, WITH KCELBPWH
8715      0090    144 KCELBPWH 2.2 MSEC   BPW > THRESH DETERMINES CELL 1
                     			HIGH HYSTERESIS VALUE, WITH KCELBPWL

There are only 3 cells: Idle, part throttle, and overrun.

My scan tool is a laptop reading the raw ALDL stream for the ECM. The
ECM *never* reports any other cell than 0, 1 or 2. Is it possible the
Tech 1 is faking 16 cells based on the RPM / MAP values?

As for the 6+1 crank trigger, there have been lengthy threads in the
past on the differences between the DIS and distributor code. Despite
the similarities in wiring and theory of operation, the distributor
and DIS codes expect slightly different things to be happening on the
signal lines. There is a difference in the timing and dwell
calculations that no one ever seemed to figure out (or if they did, I
missed it). Of particular interest is this line:

801B        AA    170 KREFANGL 59.8 DEG SPARK REFERENCE ANGLE

I read about the trials of another GMECM member trying to get DIS to
run on distributor code, decided it wasn't worth blowing up my
engine, and went with the $a1 code instead.

This google search will lead you to some of the old threads on the
subject:

http://www.google.com/search?q=gmecm+dis+distributor+base+reference
+angle

-Gary