[Gmecm] Putting the computer in the engine compartment?

Charles McDowell charles
Thu Nov 24 03:22:12 UTC 2005

I have a 7747 ECU.  What keeps me from putting it under the hood if I make
sure to keep it dry in an enclosure?  It seems to me that if the thing can
operate in desert climates after being shut in the car all day in the sun,
it could survive on my fender under the hood - at least heat wise.  What am
I missing?  I'm having a hard time finding a spot in my truck to put the
computer where it's accessible for changing chips and such without being in
the way.  For now I have it between the seats in place of the center
console, which is super convenient for changing chips and messing around,
but I don't want it there forever.  The harness interferes with some of the
ducting and makes the glove box hard to close because I routed it through an
existing hole in the firewall (this is a conversion to an 83 K5 blazer).