[Gmecm] Reluctor / rotor phasing

bcroe at juno.com bcroe
Wed Sep 14 05:38:23 UTC 2005

Inserting the distributor on a different tooth will change
the angle it must be turned in the engine, but it will
have no effect on reluctor / rotor phasing.  That is
determined inside the distributor, and by the range
of spark advance.  Mechanical advance doesn't change
phasing, since the rotating poles and the rotor are locked
together.  Phasing is definitely affected by a vacuum unit.

Phasing is more difficult with electronic advance, because
BOTH rpm (was mechanical) and vacuum advance change
the phasing.  The rotor overlaps the spark wire terminal
for quite a few degrees of rotation.  You want to have a
minimum overlap over the entire advance range.  That
can be adjusted by adjusting the fixed pickup coil position
(similar to the vacuum advance).  I have a transparent
HEI cap for this, but a big hole works too.

Bruce Roe