[Gmecm] Re: Fuel Economy

Cowen captain_krill
Thu Sep 15 23:33:22 UTC 2005

Wow!  A bit of vigorous action on this topic!  This IS
my first rodeo, at least in this arena, and normally I
might not have responded to Darrell, but it seemed no
one else was, so I gave it a whirl.  I thought I put
in enough "maybes" to draw out some clarification from
the experts...  Well! I have been severely chastised
for some poor writing skills!

GAS said:
> NB more sensitive at what ratio?  On what WB sites
> are you referring
> to?

Not "NB more sensitive" at some other ratio, I
understand NB to be very limited.  I meant to suggest
that WB might allow closed loop with leaner AF ratios
than stoich, which would be a probable benefit because
although stoich is chemically the best ratio, "best"
ratios vary depending on your needs, for power,
emmissions, economy, driveability, etc...(hence PE
mode).

What sites?  I have to admit, I've only skimmed some
of the WB sites found in a Google search, I don't have
any suggestions for which is most detailed...  But
don't worry, none of them I saw are trying to use NB
sensors outside stoich!

Gas also said:
>The NB sensor is a switch centering around, and
> being most
> sensitive at stoich.  It's sensitivity deteriorates
> the farther from stoich
> (either direction) the AFR.  There are NB O2 sensor
> voltage to AFR
> curve charts on the net, that verify this.  By
> design, NB sensors need
> not be accurate at AFRs away from stoichiometric.

Thanks for clarifying and expanding on exactly what
I'd said about NB O2 sensors!

GAS continued:
>  There is WB O2
> sensor technology
> however, that allows for PCM closed loop operation
> at ratios leaner
> (or richer) than stoich.
>
> GAS

Again, my case stated more eloquently. Now I know why
no one else responded to Darrell! :)