[Gmecm] Help with unusual BLM's

ahuxtable at sola.com.au ahuxtable
Mon Apr 3 23:01:31 UTC 2006

Thanks for the extra info Dustin.

The misfire is really intermittent.  Plug gaps were triple checked and
the coil has also been replaced.

Along with the misfire there is also a violent act of the tacho dropping
down.  This leads me more to thing that it could be something like the
coil/ignition module losing power (or the ECM altogether).  It's a sort
of CBF factor as it's ok most of the time.

On a slightly different note however - It seems to be *almost* perfect
over the last few days while I've had the 10k resister in the ALDL
connector (logging or not).  Maybe it is the ECM after all...Then again,
it could be complete coincidence since the weather here has just taken a
bit of a cold snap.

Ahh, I love cars...

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org] On
Behalf Of Dustin Lof
Sent: Wednesday, 29 March 2006 10:49 AM
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Subject: RE: [Gmecm] Help with unusual BLM's

Your misfire problem will cause low block learn
numbers. Less than 128 the ecm is subrtracting fuel
more than 128 it is adding fuel.

Just because the cap rotor, wires etc. is all new does
not necessarly mean it is good, what is the spark plug
gap at every plug, how many kv is the coil able to
produce, what is available at the wires. Invest in an
adjustable spark tester, one that is marked in kv, and
check each wire.  Set it to about 20,000 connect it to
one wire, start the engine, make sure the spark is
jumping the gap of the tester and not somewhere else,
shut the engine off and move the tester to the next
cylinder and repeat the process. also check the spark
plug gaps, maybee one got smashed shut, or to .010
when it should be .035, if one is .010 less than the
rest it will idle like a top but under a load at light
throttle it will misfire like crazy. especially a
small 4 cylinder

Dustin Lof