[Gmecm] ? about pre-efi gm ecm

Jared Ryan jryan
Sun Aug 27 19:54:21 UTC 2006

The biggest problem in changing the intake manifold is the spacing of
the four bolt holes near the carburetor/TBI pad.

Beginning with the 1987 model year, GM changed the angle of these
bolts, to make it easier to get a wrench on them.  They are at a
different angle from the other eight bolts.  I ended up drilling them
out with a drill press to make a GM TBI manifold fit on an '84 engine.
When I replaced the 305, I got a new long block that had the '87-later
bolt angle and used an Edelbrock 3704 manifold.

Don't worry about the thermostat or anything like that if changing
manifolds.  It is in the same place.  The ECM coolant temperature
sensor will screw into the manifold instead of the thermostat housing,
or you can put a pipe plug in the manifold and leave it in the
thermostat housing.  The heater hose will go to an outlet at the back
of the manifold instead of the front.  None of this is a big deal and
it basically falls into place.

The biggest issue is the linkage.  Instead of hacking something up, I
got the brackets and TV cable from a TBI Suburban.

You will need to run a new supply line to the fuel tank.  It must be
3/8" diameter.  The stock line is 5/16" and it will work as the return
line.  The vapor line will keep its current job.

  ---> Jared Ryan <---
jryan at caminofx.org | http://www.caminofx.org