[Gmecm] ? about pre-efi gm ecm]

Jay Vessels jay
Mon Aug 28 00:39:40 UTC 2006

Hi there!

> Painless Harness 60101 (they engineered wiring based on a 90 Chevy P/U)

I've got that harness on my S-10 truck.  It's decent and easy to install.

> Painless TBI adapter 60118 (solves the bolt pattern match issue)

Or the Holley 17-41 for cheaper.

> Painless VSS Adapter 60115 (gets 2PPM from mechanical speedo cable)

You don't need this, most likely, since your car is a CCC car.  There
should be a VSS mounted in the back of the original speedometer that
will work nicely with that 1227747.  The Painless harness will also come
with an ALDL connector and Check Engine light that you can use if you
want, or you can re-use what is already in your car.

>     * Coolant sensor (this is still an outstanding question, will the
>     existing one suffice - I think so, if not acquire correct one)

If you get the intake and TBI from a donor car/truck, then you'll have
most of the sensors, etc. you need including CTS, and EGR stuff.

>     * MAP sensor (this is still an outstanding question

Don't stress over this.  Any GM MAP sensor from a non-turbo or
non-superhcarged car will work.  Find a GM car with fuel injection and
take the MAP sensor off of it.  Or buy a new one from GM for about $40.

> The last area that I'm not yet sure of is EGR and AIR (not A/C):
> * I'm hoping the existing EGR controls will adapt to the new ECM w/ no
> changes, any help/comments here welcomed.

The ECM uses an EGR solenoid to drive the EGR valve.  If you find a
donor that still has the intake and TBI on it, then you'll likely find
the EGR valve and solenoid still on it.

AIR is a strange one -- it depends largely on the donor vehicle as much
as anything, as GM appears to have tried different strategies on
different vehicles.  The Painless harness (if it's like mine) will not
have any wiring for the AIR system.  Depending on how the AIR system is
designed on your car, you may be able to just keep what you have.

> If anyone has a good reliable source of pulled TBI's I'd appreciate
> that, otherwise car-parts.com search has turned up quite a few, and the
> swap may also discover one, so we'll see there.

If there are any junkyards in your area that let you pull stuff, that's
probably the best route.

Jay Vessels
1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
1984 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer Sport, 2.8V6 (TBI pending)