[Gmecm] Re: Digest v. Forum

Doug Chase doug
Thu Aug 31 06:59:46 UTC 2006

I've seen this discussion come up on many mailing lists and what usually
happens is this:

1) Somebody suggests moving to a forum
2) Lots of debate, with a large contingent (usually including the list
owner) wanting to stay as a mailing list.
3) Eventually somebody on the forum side of the debate goes ahead and starts
a forum on their own.
4a) People migrate to the forum.
or
4b) The forum never really catches on and most people stay on the list.

I've seen both 4a) and 4b) happen.  The only way to find out is for somebody
to start a forum.  I've never seen a "let's switch to a forum" discussion
actually end up in an official switch of a mailing list into a forum (but
that doesn't mean it's never happened).

Doug Chase
www.chaserace.com
425-269-5636

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Hess
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 5:28 PM
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Subject: RE: [Gmecm] Re: Digest v. Forum

Data is lost?  I'm on probably 20 forums for everything from v6's to
engineering.  Of those 20, one forum has a problem with going down
occasionally.  There has NEVER been a loss of data or posts on ANY of the
forums in the 10+ years I've been on them.  Never.

Conversely, I have had emails get lost.  I have no idea how that happens,
but apparently it does.  It might be 1/100th of 1%, but it's there.

Who's going to mind it?  Whoever wants to.  Nominate a couple admins.  I'll
do it without hesitation.  It's no surprise thirdgen gets soooo many people
from other backgrounds.  "How do I tune my $DF code?"  "I'm running an MG
with a 3.4DOHC, which binary do I need?"  Probably 20% of the posts there
are not thirdgen related, which I think goes to show the number of people
who want a general GM tuning/PROM/ECM/EFI forum.

What I was sort of surprised of, was the number of people who have heard of
this list, but don't sign up because they hate "spam".  In that case, emails
they'd rather not receive.

Everybody is happy now only because it's no work to keep it the way it is,
and to be honest I think everybody is afraid of change.