[Gmecm] TBI and EFE

Jared Ryan jryan
Sun Dec 3 16:14:58 UTC 2006

OK, here is what happened, from the beginning.  The exact sequence is
important.

I discovered the busted fuel injector O-ring that was the cause of the
too-rich problems I had been chasing since April.  (The lower O-ring on
the left-side fuel injector was mashed, letting fuel under pressure
down into the barrel).  I replaced that, and the engine ran perfectly.
It idled very slow (at the target idle speed programmed into the ANLU
chip, about 550 RPM) but very smooth.  Drivability was excellent.

Then, after a few days, I noticed it would sometimes idle faster than
it had been.  It was still smooth, but about 1000 RPM.  It would flare
up when I shifted out of drive into Park or Neutral and not come down
as fast as it had.

All of the preceding is with the daytime highs in the mid-70s and lows
in the 60s.  Warm weather.

Well, I wondered if the IAC valve might be sticking.  I took out the
valve and cleaned it.  It wasn't very dirty, hardly any carbon, but I
sprayed Gum-Out on it and also sprayed it in the passage on the
throttle body.  I put the IAC valve back in.  I didn't drive it after
doing this.  Later that night, the arctic blast came through (well, for
Houston, TX; lows in the low 30s, highs in the 50s at the most).  Since
the day I cleaned the IAC valve, it has not idled well.  It acts like
it might be too rich, and it won't idle slower than about 700 RPM.

I've done the IAC reset, grounding the diagnostic pin to force the ECM
to extend the IAC plunger fully, and the slowest I can get it to idle
with the IAC valve unplugged is about 600, and it's rough.  It's rough
with the IAC valve connected, both cold and hot, and it idles faster in
Park or Neutral than in Drive.  In Drive it's right about at the target
idle speed, but still rough, but it won't idle down when taken out of
gear.

By "rough" I mean a bad smell from the tailpipes, car shaking, surging,
having to really hold my foot on the brake to keep it still at a red
light due to the surging.

So could I have damaged the IAC valve with the Gum-Out?

I broke the scientific method and changed two things at once (OK, so I
can't control the weather), and now I don't know if I have an acting-up
IAC valve, a fuel leak, or if it just doesn't like the chilled air.

The pintle of the IAC valve looks like it could possibly wear over time
and not seal against the throttle body, with or without carbon buildup.

  ---> Jared Ryan <---
jryan at caminofx.org | http://www.caminofx.org