[Gmecm] TBI and EFE

jryan at caminofx.org jryan
Mon Dec 4 20:49:06 UTC 2006

Well, once again, apparently I fail.

It turns out that the injector cover gasket was leaking.  I took a
look at it with the air cleaner lid off, and I noticed that the
left-side throttle plate was wet, but the right-side plate was dry,
and the part of the gasket on the left side was glistening.  I have a
dual-plane intake manifold (Edelbrock 3704), so one-half of the
cylinders were getting a very rich mixture, while one-half were
getting a lean mixture, apparently.

So I went to the parts store and got a TBI gasket kit, and I replaced
everything I could without taking the throttle body off the manifold
(no reason to suspect the base gasket).  I changed the injector
O-rings, injector cover gasket, IAC valve gasket, etc.

I don't know if this is a best practice but I used petroleum jelly on
the injector O-rings to try to protect them during installation, as I
have mashed a lower O-ring in the past by accident, causing a
super-rich running condition.

At any rate, I started it up and it ran fine, much smoother.  After it
warmed up, I had to do the whole minimum-air reset procedure, because
it idled much too fast (due to the mixture being much leaner).

For what it's worth, I actually do have an IAT sensor.  I have a
strange hodgepodge of components.  The serpentine belt system, 1228746
ECM and air cleaner are all from a Camaro.  The intake fits under the
hood of the El Camino nicely and looks like it belongs there.

The other thing the 1228746 has that the '747 seems not to is a
control for the vapor canister solenoid.  Cars seemed to have a
solenoid, while pickups did not seem to.  This may also play into your
thinking - truck owners may not be as sensitive to small variations as
car owners.

It was 30 degrees F when I started out this morning, and it ran fine -
no stumble, no rough idling, no black smoke (lotsa white stuff out the
pipes though!), so apparently it is not critical to preheat the intake
air.  With the Camaro air cleaner, duct and scoop, it's getting cold
air from right behind the driver-side headlight, not heated by the
engine compartment or radiator.

There is one small issue left, and this may be because I'm using the
ANLU (9C1 350) PROM with a camshaft a little bigger than it was made
for.  It idles very nicely at all times, very smooth, very close to
the target speed set in the PROM, but it does something a little funny
after I have been driving a while and I shift from OD/D to P.  The
idle jumps up slightly due to the decreased load, then the tachometer
needle does kind of a pendulum thing, going up and down about 100 RPM
total.  After about five or six cycles, it stabilizes and stays at the
set idle speed.  It only does this when shifting from OD/D to P, not
from P to OD/D.

It acts like it's chasing the target idle speed, but it's such a small
variation that many people might not notice it happening.  I wonder if
I should get a scantool and watch the IAC counts, and try fine-tuning
the throttle plate opening based on the IAC counts.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.  I am enjoying learning how
this system is really supposed to work, and starting to really enjoy
driving the car.