[Gmecm] Stives, and the 2.8l EFE grid

Cowen captain_krill
Tue Dec 5 03:29:01 UTC 2006

Hello folks,
I'm not sure what conditions would cause icing in some
2.8s and not others, but I bought my 2.8 with a carb,
and I heard about how the ceramic comes off the grid
(mine was 20% gone when I looked).  I subsequently
removed the grid entirely, and had no problems driving
on extended ski trips through the Rockies, Idaho, and
up and down the Coast to Whistler and Vancouver's
local mountains.  Over 10 years, altitude, humidity,
and -26 deg temps over the Coquihalla (5,500 feet
highway) to ski in the interior have never caused any
problems.  Maybe the lower engine compartment profile
of the Cherokee (compared to a Blazer) keeps the carb
warmer?

Two winters in, I'm also having no problems with my
unheated Fiero throttle body now on the same engine -
no problems yet, even after a few ski trips to the
interior (3000 ft, -20).

I have experienced icing in an aircraft carb - not
fun!  But not in a car yet...

I doubt stoves make much difference to icing, and I
know the EFE grid was useless (and restrictive!) in my
Jeep!

Just my two cents. :)