[Gmecm] Re: Stives, and the 2.8l EFE grid

Cowen captain_krill
Tue Dec 12 01:32:49 UTC 2006

Hello Zaphod,

I ran that 2.8 with the broken EFE grid for a few
years of ski trips and didn't have any noticeable
problem, but I had a functioning stove setup.  The
icing I've witnessed with aircraft caused noticeable
power loss and missing ( early spring day, 3,000
feet)- I was glad to be in an accompanying plane!  We
had identical engines, but one was unshrouded and it
iced.  Maybe the smaller engine compartment of the
Cherokee, and the functioning stove were enough to
prevent icing?  I know that the partial vacuum of the
venturi lowers intake charge temps, and the
evaporation of the fuel lowers charge temperature
more, and the vacuum encourages ice deposition, but I
still haven't personally noticed any problems on any
land vehicle.  It's amazing how different all of our
experiences are, with basically the same bits and
pieces!

On a more "fuel injected" note, I've run across
threads advocating disconnecting the coolant lines to
the throttle body (on a Cavalier site and a Toyota
22RE site).  The idea is to slightly reduce intake
charge temperature. I had to delete the lines to my
Fiero TB in order to make it fit on backwards.  So,
I'm wondering if the water for the TBs is for ice
prevention, or if it's for emissions?

Does multiport even ice, with no venturi and no
evaporation in the TB?

Just musing!

Cowen