[Gmecm] Tracker TBI

Ford, Pat Pat.Ford
Tue Dec 12 13:25:45 UTC 2006

You didn't mention the year of the tracker but if it is anything up to
~94, pull the ecm and check for bad caps, that was the first warning
sign 4 ecms gave me before the caps crashed the ecm. The godd news the
caps are easy to change.
Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org] On
Behalf Of Jason McNamara
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 1:35 AM
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: [Gmecm] Tracker TBI

First thing that comes to my mind is the coolant temperature sensor.
Usually when they fail the computer thinks the engine is colder so adds
more fuel.

  I've had problems like that with many cars, although not as bad.
rough running in open loop, sluggish.  Hook up the scan tool and see
10-15 degree lower temp from the sender then what the engine is at, pop
in a new coolant temp sensor and no problem.

  Worst I ever saw a CTS fail was on the formula sae car at school.  We
had problems with it flooding out while trying to start it.  Hooked the
lap top up to it, the ecu thought the engine was at -200F in the middle
of summer in Ohio.  Since we were out testing about 30 miles from the
nearest parts store we just reset some of the cold start values to get
it running.  Of course it wouldn't run right after that (bogging, lack
of power) so we reconfigured the ecu to ignore the CTS while running,
just had it use throttle position and MAP.

  Cowen <captain_krill at yahoo.com> wrote:

I also noticed last week we had a day down to -11 Celsius, and when I
started it, it was so rich it ran on 3 cylinders for 10 seconds - then
it went to four, as normal. I'm guessing it was very rich in open loop,
then when the HO2S warmed up, it was fine.