[Gmecm] TBI Swap - Iron Duke Tech IV

Aphelion79 aphelion79
Sun Feb 12 01:39:54 UTC 2006

Hey all,
    I'm currently about to undertake the task of swapping in an intake
manifold/TBI onto my 1982 Jeep CJ7's Iron Duke "Hurricane" 151 cid 4-cyl
engine.  I've taken all the parts from a 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
(These are the exact same engines, minus the Fuel Injection!).
    The actuall installation of the manifold/TBI is nothing for me to
do... its all the wiring!  I took all the wiring that was attached to
the two plugs on the ECM (which is a 1227748).  I noticed that the ECM
controls the Transmission in the Oldsmobile, which I have cut off from
the harness... also the electic fan wiring has been cut off...

    So, can I just cut and cap off the wires that I don't need?  This
probably is so insanely simple once I figure out what I'm doing, that
I'll be kicking myself for even asking you all, lol... what should I be
aware of?  I don't want to just remove wiring that doesn't go anywhere
and have the ECM not work properly (i.e. the wiring I cut off from the
Transmission etc)

The electronics of it all is the scarry part for me... I don't
understand one bit how an engine can even run off a computer anyway, lol...

Tell me whatever you all know, even if it sounds stupid, lol... what
parts I need etc, and I'll make sure I've got everything squared away
before I undertake this!  (BTW, I'm hoping to do this in about 2-3
weeks, and will attempt to complete the entire swap within a week...
Like I said, once I plug everything in and plug it into the ECM the
thing will run flawlessly being the same engine, I'm just scared it
wont, lol)

-Matt