[Gmecm] TBI Swap - Iron Duke Tech IV

Ne14RoxCJ ne14roxcj
Tue Feb 14 20:32:32 UTC 2006

Where does the DIS get its signal? You'll probably need the crank position
sensor for that. I don't know where that is on that engine, but it may
involve some mechanical parts (like the flywheel). Someone else familiar
with the olds engine could answer that. I am anxious for you to get it
running, as I had an '82 CJ5 with the same engine and an SR-4 4-speed. That
was the most gutless POS and after going through 5 reman carbs, I finally
swapped a SBC into it with a Holly Pro-Jection (my first experience with EFI
and first engine I built). After that came a Borg Warner WC T-5 and Dana
44's and the list goes on.... Good luck with it.

Beau

-----Original Message-----
From: gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org] On Behalf
Of Aphelion79
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 9:50 AM
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: [Gmecm] TBI Swap - Iron Duke Tech IV

First of all, I took everything off of the donor engine... its the same
exact engine as I've got in my Jeep, but my Jeep is  carburated, and the
Olds is Fuel Injected... so The Dizzy I took off of the Olds, the Intake
Manifold/TBI, and all sensors will screw directly into my Jeep's
block/head... so Yes, I did in fact take the distributor from the Olds, the
only thing left out in the junkyard is the engine block/transmission lol...
The distributor is a giant heatsink with two coils mounted to it, is all...
and a shaft with an o-ring on it to plug the hole where the mechanical dizzy
went...  For VSS, I do not need it do I?... my speedo is mechanical into my
Transfer Case so I can just not use the VSS plug and cap it off / pull the
wires, right?  VSS shouldn't send any info to the ECM that would deal with
anything except shifting the transmission, and your MPH on the Dash Display,
correct?
I am currently missing two sensors, the Knock Sensor, and the Crankshaft
Position Sensor.  From what I can tell on the wiring diagrams any other
sensors I either am not using, or already have!

I'll be tearing into the wiring harness tomorrow (Wednesday) to rebundle
wires for my application/lable them and I will post any questions I have
then...

Thx for the help all!
-Matt

QUOTE:

	For the 2.5, it would be bunches easier to just use the 2.5 TBI
	distributor...
	For the 250, Use the HEI distributor, swap in a 7-pin module in
place of
	the 4-pin, lock down the advance, and then match the connector on
the
	harness, if needed.

	But the rest of the info is good for if you're trying to hook this
up to
	a non-GM engine.

	This brings about a question; Did you get everything from the Olds
	you're going to need, all the sensors, distributor, etc? What are
you
	going to do for VSS? Be sure to change out any pieces of rubber fuel
	hose with the higher-pressure stuff so it doesn't blow apart once it
	gets pressurized.

	Good Luck,
	Joel

Andrew Gibson wrote:

> The reason I reccomended what I did is because the 1227748 ecm spark
> tables and base spark setting are for DIS. It was never used on a
> distributor so the timing may be way wacked once est is commanded. I
> am going to check it out but haven't done it yet. As for using a
> distributor from a TBI it could work well. If it will fit the motor.
> (There are about 4-5 different designs for the block) and doing so
> will also require burning a very custom prom. Currently Tunercat is
> the only one with 1227748 definition files for editing. And then you
> have to buy proms, burner, etc. to get going.
>
> And the 250 HEI distributor? I have 2. Both do not have any external
> connectors and the module location would require major modificaiton to
> the distributor and cap. Potentially opening up for water intrusion.
> Again I don't know how the 1227748 ecm will handle the spark tables on
> a distributor. So I'm leaving the mechanical adavances for now.

> PhotoMail

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/PMall/*http://photomail.mail.yahoo.
com>